If the offender is convicted, they will be required to register their name as a sex offender within their community of residence. In addition to this, there is a high percentage that the offender may lose their family and communal credibility thereby rendering them unable to find a place to stay and again employment respectively.
Even though you have been charged with a sex crime offense, you still have a chance of walking home discharged and acquitted of all allegations. The law has it that an accused remains innocent of a sexual offense until they are proven guilty, and you can only remain innocent by retaining a diligent Columbus, Ga. sex crime defense lawyer by your side working to protect your rights and advocating for you. One of the key elements of winning a Sex Crime allegation is a quick intervention by your Columbus, Ga. sex crime defense lawyer. It would be an advantage if the contact is made sooner so as to quickly investigate the details around the allegation in order to defend you.
Tyler Moffitt is a Columbus, Ga. criminal defense lawyer who has been representing clients with sexual assault and sexual harassment throughout Georgia. He is very strict on standing up for people’s rights as regards sex crimes charge and very thorough in preparing the right paperwork. He is vast with the knowledge and tactics that are needed for your sex crime case. He is fully aware of your future if convicted and that is why he is diligent in practice and ensures that your legal rights are protected.
Sexual Assault in Georgia
Georgia code 16-6-5.1 has it that sexual assault may be committed when an individual with disciplinary or supervisory authority over another engages in sexual assault such as
- When a school principal, teacher, or any other administrator engages in sexual contact with a student of the school.
- When an agent or employee of any county juvenile probation office, community supervision office, or department of juvenile justice engages in sexual contact with a parolee or probationer that is under the supervision of the office.
- When an employee of a hospital engages in sexual contact with a patient.
- When an employee of a law enforcement agency engages in sexual contact with a detainee.
- When an agent or employee of a juvenile facility, correctional facility, facility giving care or services to a disabled or a facility rendering child welfare or youth services engages in sexual contact with an individual who the offender knows is getting services from such facility.
In addition to this, a psychotherapist has engaged in a sexual assault if they have sexual contact with an individual who seeks counseling from them.
Furthermore, an employee, agent, or volunteer at any licensed facility has engaged in a sexual assault if they have sexual contact with someone who is admitted and is receiving the facility’s services.
If an offender is convicted of sexual assault, they will be the subject of jail time of up to 25 years and above or a steep fine not exceeding $100,000 or both. However, if the conviction relates to sexual assault involving a child (usually under 16 years of age), the offender will be sentenced to prison time of at least 25 years to 50 years.
However, if at the time of the offense, the victim of the sexual assault is at least 14 years of age but not older than 16 years of age, and the offender is four years older than the victim, the act will be termed as a “misdemeanor.”
Other offenses amounting to sex crimes in Georgia
Other categories of sex crime where Tyler Moffitt may be able to represent you include but not limited to the following
- Sexual battery
- Child molestation
- Indecent exposure
- Children enticement for indecent purposes
- Public indecency
- Statutory rape
- Child pornography
Contact a Columbus, Ga. sex crime defense attorney today
Contact Tyler Moffitt today to discuss any issue under a sex crime charge today. Remember you have got no time to waste and acting earlier would go a long way in getting your freedom. He is available as needed to take your case. To schedule a consultation, call him at 762-212-3846.