You Do Not Have To Put Up With A Deadbeat Ex-spouse

Free Evaluation shield 100% Secure and Confidential

Many single parents may be surprised to find out that while the courts issued a child support order, it doesn’t always translate into receiving full payments on time. So what is a single parent supposed to do when they are not receiving child support payments from their “deadbeat” ex? Here are some tips to help you get through this tough situation.

3 Ways to Handle a Deadbeat Ex-Spouse

  1. Do not just accept the situation. If you take your child support payments seriously, and as a business transaction, it will encourage the other parent to handle the situation seriously as well. Child support is money you are legally owed and is essential for you and your child’s future.
  2. Keep records of everything. Bes sure to keep a record of every payment made to you, when, and how much was paid. It’s also essential to provide your ex-spouse a receipt for every payment they have made. Should have to go back to court to claim back pay for child support, you have a paper trail of records.
  3. Do not deny the rights of visitation. If the other parent is not sending child support payments on time, do not try to withhold their visitation rights with the child. Withholding visitation is only going to get you in legal trouble. You should only withhold visitation if advised to you by a lawyer or Judge.

A person would need to file a Motion for Contempt against the offending party to rectify the situation. In Georgia, contempt is defined as “a ‘willful refusal to comply with a judgment or order of the court.” A person is in contempt if he or she does not meet the terms set by the Judge in a divorce case.

If you are dealing with a deadbeat Ex-Spouse, you should seek the counsel of an experienced Carrollton family law attorney in Georgia, like Tyler Moffit, to achieve the best outcome.

762-200-2924 phone Available 24/7

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.