Types of Immigration Status in the U.S

Free Evaluation shield 100% Secure and Confidential

Immigration law in the United States can be confusing. There are numerous complicated requirements and processes that must be met and followed depending on your situation.

Here at Moffitt Law, LLC, we ensure you are properly represented and understand everything there is to know about the immigration process. It is vital that you also recognize and appreciate your current situation. Read on to ensure you are aware of your current immigration status and the various options available for you.

Immigration Status – The Different Types


These are individuals who have been ”naturalized” after between three to five years of permanent residency or those born in the United States. The only reason for deportation for these individuals is if their citizenship was fraudulent. If a citizen, you also get to receive public benefits and work legally within the country. Equally, the law allows you to petition for the legal status of your sibling, parent, spouse, or child.

To qualify for this immigration status, one of your parents must be a U.S citizen by naturalization or birth. Individuals that worked or lived outside the U.S their entire life can apply and earn citizenship. At Moffitt Law, LLC, we help you verify your parents’ citizenship to ensure that you acquire citizenship.

Permanent and Conditional Residents

Those possessing green cards that indefinitely provide them with the right to live in the United States fall under two categories: permanent and conditional residents. Below we’ll cover some key differences between these two categories:

Permanent Resident

Also known as green card holders, Legal Permanent Residents (LPRs) have been granted federal authorization to work and live in the United States for the long-term. Although it sounds permanent, the law dictates that you renew your green card after every ten years.

Permanent residents get to enjoy federal benefits, including social security and educational assistance. However, you cannot enjoy civil rights like holding a public office, voting, and serving on a jury. Seek help from Moffitt Law, LLC to ensure your LPR status application shows a clear desire to live permanently in the United States. Some of the most common visa petitions used to acquire permanent resident status include employment visas, family visas, and refugee status.

Conditional Resident

Immigrant spouses married to United States citizens or Legal Permanent Residents for less than two years before acquiring a green card are known as conditional residents. However, you and your spouse must file to remove the condition within two years after getting the green card. Otherwise, you risk having the card terminated, which means deportation.

Converting from conditional status to permanent status will require you to file a Form l-751 (petition to remove the conditions on residence). At Moffitt Law, LLC, we will help you include the supporting evidence needed to ensure you qualify. We also work round-the-clock to ensure the application is done in a legal and timely manner.

Understand that having a green card does not guarantee citizenship after five years (or three years in case of marriage to a U.S citizen). Factors such as owing taxes, getting arrested, and failing to pay child support can deter you from becoming a U.S citizen. Ensure you contact us today if you are concerned about the state of your conditional or LPR status.


These are individuals visiting the United States for a specific reason or a given period. Non-immigrants don’t have any intention of staying in the U.S permanently. Therefore, they will be going back to their home country once their visa expires.

The various types of non-immigrant visas include student visas, tourist visas, and employment visas. Non-immigrants have various options to temporarily spend time in the United States. Ensure you talk to our attorney at Moffitt Law, LLC if you have any questions concerning your non-immigrant status.

Undocumented Immigrants

You are labeled an undocumented immigrant if you entered the U.S without following the set procedures. Those who entered the country with a visa that has now expired also fall under this category.

Undocumented immigrants do not have the legal permits needed to work or live in the United States. Therefore, it can be difficult to obtain things such as a valid driver’s license and healthcare. Luckily, you can always obtain legal status through marriage to a U.S citizen or the DACA. Ensure you contact us today to find out more.

Let Us Help with Your Immigration Status

It doesn’t matter what your immigration status is or where you are in the immigration procedure. At Moffitt Law, LLC, we are ready to help you gain legal status – if the option applies to your case. Ensure you call 762-204-1443 today for a free phone consultation.

Immigration Status FAQs

What is my immigration status?

Your visa category identifies your current immigration status in the United States. Immigration officials assigned the status when you most recently came into the country.

How can I confirm the status of my immigration application?

Dial 1-800-375-5283 to access your immigration status from USCIS. Follow the directions and use the details on your receipt number.

What are the four types of immigrants?

The four types of immigration in the United States include citizens, residents, non-immigrants, and undocumented immigrants.

762-200-2924 phone Available 24/7

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.