Car accidents are the most common form of personal injury civil cases in Georgia. Victims of negligent drivers can access financial compensation for their losses and hold the at-fault party accountable for their actions with the help of a car accident lawyer in LaGrange, Georgia. At Moffitt Law, LLC, we understand the devastation you face and will fight aggressively to ensure you recover every penny lost and more.
What Can Our Car Accident Lawyer in LaGrange Do?
Your car accident lawyer provides legal advice, guiding you through the complexities of the civil legal system and advocating for your rights. They assess the accident’s details to determine liability and the extent of damages and gather evidence to prove your claim. This evidence is vital in building a solid case and giving them leverage when negotiating with insurance companies for a settlement. Should attempts to settle fail, your car accident attorney represents you in court.
Hiring an attorney also means you have an objective presence who can offer compassionate support. The legal process can be challenging for anyone unfamiliar with personal injury law, and insurance adjusters have a reputation for representing the company’s best interests, sometimes to the point of using bad faith tactics to undermine your claim. Having a car accident lawyer from Moffitt Law, LLC, offers a layer of protection while you focus on recovering from your physical and emotional injuries.
Types of Car Accident Cases We Handle
Our LaGrange car accident lawyer handles a variety of cases, each with unique circumstances and legal considerations:
- Head-on collisions: These involve two vehicles colliding front-to-front, often resulting in severe injuries or fatalities.
- Rear-end accidents: These occur when one vehicle hits the back of another, often leading to whiplash and other injuries, even at low speeds. They are the most common form of car accident.
- Drunk driving crashes: Liability and criminal charges may intersect in a drunk driving case. In some cases, you may access punitive damages in addition to compensatory damages.
- Accidents involving uninsured motorists: Accidents caused by drivers without adequate insurance coverage pose challenges in securing compensation.
- Side-impact collisions: Commonly known as T-bone accidents, these occur when one driver hits the side of another car, often at an intersection, leading to significant vehicle damages and personal injury.
This is not a comprehensive list of potential cases. Car accidents can occur under many different circumstances, including incidents where more than one party is at fault. If you have questions about your accident, our car accident lawyer in LaGrange will listen and help you determine the best course of legal action available to you.
What Are Common Injuries From Car Accidents?
Car accidents can result in a range of injuries, varying in severity based on the nature and magnitude of the crash.
Injuries we commonly see from crashes include:
- Whiplash: Often associated with rear-end collisions, whiplash occurs when a sudden impact causes the head to jerk back and forth aggressively, straining the muscles and ligaments.
- Concussions: These are traumatic brain injuries resulting from the violent shaking or striking of the head, leading to temporary loss of brain function.
- Broken bones: High-impact crashes can cause fractures in various bones, including ribs, arms and legs.
- Internal bleeding: Severe accidents can lead to internal injuries, causing bleeding that is not always immediately apparent but can be life-threatening.
- Spinal cord injuries: These injuries can range from herniated discs to more severe spinal damage, potentially leading to paralysis.
Victims of severe car accidents may face long-term health complications and financial burdens due to medical expenses and lost wages. Seeking immediate medical attention and consulting a car accident lawyer in LaGrange from our firm are the first steps in protecting your right to compensation.
Is Georgia an At-Fault State for Car Accidents?
Like most states, Georgia uses a fault-based system to handle car accident claims and lawsuits. This means the person found responsible for causing the accident is also liable for any resulting damages. The at-fault driver’s insurance will typically cover all recoverable damages from the accident and resulting injuries. These include economic and non-economic losses:
- The cost of medical care, including medications, surgeries, hospital stays, doctor visits, medical devices and ongoing care, such as rehabilitation
- The total lost wages, including future lost income and loss of earning capacity caused by permanent disability
- The cost of repairing or replacing the vehicle and any other damaged property
- The physical and emotional pain and suffering endured from injuries and medical treatment
- The cost of any necessary replacement services, such as in-home assistance or childcare
Drivers in Georgia must carry liability insurance to cover these expenses in case they cause an accident. However, in cases where the insurance company refuses to cooperate, or the policy does not sufficiently cover the damages, victims have the right to file a lawsuit with the local civil court. In that rare case, our car accident lawyer in LaGrange will prepare your case for trial and represent you in court.
What Types of Evidence Are Important in a Car Accident Case?
As the plaintiff in a car accident case, you are responsible for providing the evidence necessary to prove the other party’s liability and your losses. Examples of necessary evidence your attorney will use include:
- Police reports: Official reports provide an authoritative account of the accident, detailing everything and often suggesting fault.
- Photographs and videos: Images from the accident scene show vehicle positions, road conditions and damages.
- Witness statements: Testimonies from people who saw the accident can offer unbiased perspectives on what occurred.
- Medical records: Documentation of injuries links them directly to the accident, which is essential for claiming damages.
- Expert testimonies: Specialists, such as accident reconstruction experts, can provide insight into the causes and dynamics of the crash.
Collecting and presenting this evidence is vital to a successful car accident claim. You can use it in court, but the more robust your evidence is, the more likely you are to settle outside the courtroom.
Why Choose Moffitt Law, LLC, as Your Car Accident Lawyers in LaGrange?
Car accident victims and their families often face severe physical, emotional and financial losses. At Moffitt Law, LLC, we use our extensive courtroom experience and dedication to justice in every case to help you build a solid claim for compensation. You do not have to face the sometimes complex personal injury system alone. Contact us to schedule your free consultation with a car accident lawyer in LaGrange today.
FAQs About Car Accident Cases
How do you afford a car accident lawyer?
Most car accident lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, meaning they only charge a fee if they win the case or secure a settlement for their client. This fee is typically a percentage of the settlement or award amount. The arrangement makes legal representation accessible without upfront costs, allowing individuals to afford legal services regardless of their financial situation during the accident. Additionally, you are more likely to recover a higher settlement when you have legal representation.
How do you pick the right lawyer after a crash?
To pick the right lawyer after a crash, you need someone local with a track record of successful cases. Your attorney should have a personal approach to your case, showing that they care and want to help. You should feel comfortable working with them, creating a good rapport essential for a successful partnership.