Georgia law allows you to pursue compensation for your losses if you suffered an injury in a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property. However, you are responsible for presenting the evidence needed to prove your claim. A LaGrange slip and fall lawyer at Moffitt Law, LLC, can walk you through the legal process and ensure you adequately value your claim, holding the at-fault property owner liable for every penny you lost.
Why Hire a LaGrange Slip and Fall Lawyer at Moffitt Law, LLC, To Represent You?
Hiring a slip and fall lawyer in LaGrange is an advantage in navigating the complexities of these cases. Your attorney will help you understand the laws and regulations related to premises liability, ensuring accurate interpretation and application in your case. They gather and analyze evidence, which is vital for proving negligence and damages. They also have experience negotiating with insurance companies, allowing them to secure fair compensation by countering low settlement offers that may not cover all expenses.
Their representation in court, should the case go to trial, is invaluable as they advocate on your behalf. Most importantly, our slip and fall attorneys are knowledgeable in personal injury law. They understand the need for compassion during a trying time. At Moffitt Law, LLC, we combine emotional support with our objective professional presence.
What Are Frequent Injuries From a Slip and Fall?
Slip and fall accidents can result in various injuries, ranging from minor to severe. Among the most common are:
- Fractures: Bones can break due to the impact of a fall, particularly in older adults whose bones may be more fragile. Common fracture sites include the hip, wrist and ankle.
- Head injuries: Concussions or more serious traumatic brain injuries are among the most dangerous injuries you can sustain. These can occur even if you do not directly hit your head.
- Back and spinal cord injuries: These injuries can range from herniated discs to more severe spinal cord damage, potentially leading to long-term disability.
- Sprains and strains: Falls often result in sprained ankles or wrists and strained muscles, particularly if you twist or land awkwardly.
- Cuts and bruises: Skin abrasions and bruising are common, especially on the hands and knees, as you instinctively try to break the fall.
Whenever an injury requires medical attention, a Moffitt Law, LLC slip and fall lawyer in LaGrange can use the medical records to validate your claim and ensure you receive fair compensation.
What Hazards Contribute to the Risk of Slip and Falls?
Hazards that contribute to the risk of slip and fall accidents are diverse and can occur in various environments, often resulting from several factors that create unsafe conditions. Common examples include:
- Wet or slippery surfaces: Spills or wet floors can significantly increase the risk of slips. These surfaces reduce traction, making it challenging to maintain balance.
- Uneven flooring: Changes in floor level, including cracks, loose floorboards or worn carpeting, are not always immediately noticeable and can lead to unexpected falls.
- Poor lighting: Inadequate lighting can obscure vision, making it challenging to notice potential hazards like steps, obstacles or changes in flooring texture.
- Cluttered walkways: Cords, debris or equipment left in walkways pose tripping hazards.
- Environmental conditions: Ice, snow and rain outdoors create slippery conditions. Indoors, air conditioning can cause condensation, leading to slippery surfaces.
When you speak with a slip and fall lawyer at Moffitt Law, LLC, discuss the circumstances that led to your fall in detail. We can help you understand how the hazard could be the result of the property owner’s negligence.
When Is a Property Owner Responsible for a Slip & Fall?
A property owner’s responsibility for a fall on their premises depends on several factors. Legally, property owners in Georgia must ensure their space is reasonably safe for visitors. This duty of care varies based on the visitor’s status: invitees, licensees or trespassers.
Invitees are individuals invited onto the property, such as customers in a store. Property owners owe them the highest duty of care. This includes regular property inspections and fixing known hazards.
Licensees enter the property for their own purposes, such as social guests. Owners must warn them of any known dangers that the licensee is unlikely to discover on their own.
Finally, owners owe the least duty of care to trespassers. However, they cannot willfully harm them and must warn of known, hidden dangers if they have the opportunity.
A property owner is responsible if negligence leads to your fall. This involves proving that the owner knew or should have known about the hazard and had reasonable time to address it but failed to do so. Whether your fall occurred on a residential or commercial property can impact how you approach the case. At Moffitt Law, LLC, a slip and fall attorney in LaGrange, GA, will investigate the accident to ensure you have sufficient evidence to show the property owner’s liability.
What Should You Do if the Insurance Company Resists Paying Your Claim?
If you face resistance from the insurance company when filing a claim, your first line of defense is to have an attorney who handles all communication with the adjustor for you. In the meantime, you can take steps to protect your right to compensation. For example, you should seek medical attention immediately and attend all follow-up appointments to ensure you have adequate documentation of your injuries that link them to your accident.
Avoid talking to too many people about the incident, including refraining from social media while your case is open.
The insurance company will likely monitor your online activity for potential evidence. Following the guidance of your attorney will ensure you avoid missteps. Their goal is to secure fair compensation as quickly as possible.
Contacting a LaGrange Slip and Fall Lawyer at Moffitt Law, LLC
Slip and fall accidents can have devastating consequences for victims and their families. A LaGrange slip and fall lawyer at Moffitt Law, LLC, can help you understand the steps in building a solid case for compensation. We believe in protecting the rights of our community members and helping those in need. Contact us to schedule your free consultation today.